Friday, August 31, 2012

Last week we had an interesting and informative discussion of Andy He's post on live tweeting and blogging in judicial proceedings.  A poll of the class members present (14) revealed both agreement and disagreement on the issue.  Everyone believed jurors should be banned from tweeting or blogging during trial and deliberations.  (This view comports with the boilerplate instruction that is now being given in almost every federal and state court in the country). And, no one supported a rule that banned everyone from tweeting except for the media and lawyers.  However, the class was evenly split on whether media representatives should be allowed to tweet from the courtroom and a slight majority (8 persons) opposed an absolute ban on even allowing electronic devices to be brought into courtrooms.  There was considerable support for allowing judges flexibility in determing use of electronic devces depending on the circumstances.  As we discussed, the issue of whether electronic devices and tweeting will be allowed in Utah state courts will soon be resolved as there is a pending proposed rule on the subject.

A list of everyone's Twitter handle is now posted on the course Canvas page.

Everyone have a fun and safe labor Day holiday!

1 comment:

  1. I am so on the fence about all this that I forgot how I voted. I hate the idea of technology being used at an inappropriate time - which is why I was so aggressive in my last comment- but I also hate the idea of having to banned electronics. I don't think everyone should be punished for a few peoples mistakes but the threat of a mistrial is a serious one. The ideal solution would be for people to regulate themselves; but I just can't see that happening.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.